Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Chinese-American Garment Workers Lose Jobs.....to China (re-post)

This is a link to the Up Front Radio story, featuring, among others, Workers and Alex from CPA, Victor Menotti from IFG, and a professor from UC Berkeley. Publlished Dec 6, 2005 on New America Media website.

New American Media Story Link

The garment industry has a long history in San Francisco, starting when Levi Strauss and Company opened its first factory here nearly one hundred years ago. In the early nineties, there were 20-thousand garment workers in San Francisco. Now, only about two thousand remain as jobs moved to Mexico and China. Ironically, all of San Francisco’s garment workers are Chinese immigrants, many of them middle-aged women who don’t speak English and have few transferable skills. Zoe Corneli reports, a pilot program in San Francisco is giving these garment workers new hope in the new, global economy.

to download:
Click here

5 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12/08/2005 3:41 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12/08/2005 3:42 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Great organization ya'll. I still want to donate to the folks who are going to Hong Kong in December for a conference, or is it too late already? I missed the fundraiser on Telegraph, but I still really want to buy a shirt for my boyfriend (he's currently in Hong Kong studying abroad) Let me know how I can purchase one. I couldn't find contact info that I was sure about on this website, sorry...that's why I posted here. e-mail me here: erinjerri@gmail.com

12/08/2005 3:42 PM  
Blogger Eric Mar & SF Area Activists said...

good luck in hong kong everyone!

12/10/2005 4:55 PM  
Blogger normal said...

there's pics from HK and other asian protests against neoliberalism here

12/11/2005 4:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home